The Institute of Islamic Area Studies at Sophia University was inaugurated on April 1, 2022. Formerly known as the Center for Islamic Studies, the Institute was established in 2006 as a division of the Institute of Asian Cultures, and became a research unit of the Temporary Research Division in 2010. Our goal is to pursue the study of Islam as a global issue by means of area studies based on detailed field research throughout the world. For more information, click here.
- The Institute of Islamic Area Studies will hold a workshop, "Food Problems in the Middle East and North Africa Today: The Cases of Tunisia, Lebanon, and Egypt," on Friday, February 10, 2023 (in Japanese).
- Online version of Islamic Learning of al-Azhar from the End of 19th Century to the Beginning of 20th Century: Annotated Translation of ‘L’enseignement, la doctrine et la vie dans les universités musulmanes d’Égypte’ by Pierre Arminjon (SIAS Working Paper 41, in Japanese) and Comparative Study of Southeast Asian Kitabs (7): Islamic Books and Learning in Thailand (SIAS Working Paper 42, in English) were published .
- The Institute of Islamic Area Studies will hold a high-flex seminar, "Interreligious Critical Discussions Toward Coexistence: An Initiative by Nahdlatul Ulama of Indonesia," on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
- The Institute of Islamic Area Studies will sponsor a screening of the Uzbek ethnographic film "Séance and Islam: The Eurasian Legacy as Told by the Bakhshi" on Sunday, Dec 25, 2022 (this link takes you directly to an external site in Japanese).
- Online Symposium "Sounds and Body Expressions in Sufism" will be held via Zoom webinar. Please install the application on your device in advance.
- Online Symposium "Sounds and Body Expressions in Sufism" will be held on Saturday, November 12, 2022 (part of Sophia Open Research Weeks 2022) in collaboration with the Center for Islamic Area Studies, Kyoto University (in Japanese).
- A screening of the Moroccan film "Adam" will be held on Tuesday, November 22, 2022, in collaboration with the Institute of Asian, African, and Middle Eastern Studies and the Research Project on Islam and Gender [JSPS Research Project JP20H00085] (part of Sophia Open Research Weeks 2022) (in Japanese).
- Sophia Research Organization invites applications for PD and RA positions for the academic year 2023. Please refer to the Sophia Bulletin Board and Loyola Bulletin Board for detailed application information and documents. If you are not a member of Sophia University, please contact the SIAS office. The deadline for submission of documents is Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 17:00.
- Online version of Diversification of Muslim Communities in Taiwan (SIAS Working Paper 36) was published (in Japanese).
- Online version of Historical Developments and Contemporary Situations of Travel and Tourism in the Middle East (SIAS Working Paper 39) and The Idea of an Anthropology of Islam (SIAS Working Paper 40) were published (in Japanese).