The Institute of Islamic Area Studies at Sophia University was inaugurated on April 1, 2022. Formerly known as the Center for Islamic Studies, the Institute was established in 2006 as a division of the Institute of Asian Cultures, and became a research unit of the Temporary Research Division in 2010. Our goal is to pursue the study of Islam as a global issue by means of area studies based on detailed field research throughout the world. For more information, click here.
- Online Symposium "Sounds and Body Expressions in Sufism" will be held via Zoom webinar. Please install the application on your device in advance.
- Online Symposium "Sounds and Body Expressions in Sufism" will be held on Saturday, November 12, 2022 (part of Sophia Open Research Weeks 2022) in collaboration with the Center for Islamic Area Studies, Kyoto University (in Japanese).
- A screening of the Moroccan film "Adam" will be held on Tuesday, November 22, 2022, in collaboration with the Institute of Asian, African, and Middle Eastern Studies and the Research Project on Islam and Gender [JSPS Research Project JP20H00085] (part of Sophia Open Research Weeks 2022) (in Japanese).
- Sophia Research Organization invites applications for PD and RA positions for the academic year 2023. Please refer to the Sophia Bulletin Board and Loyola Bulletin Board for detailed application information and documents. If you are not a member of Sophia University, please contact the SIAS office. The deadline for submission of documents is Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 17:00.
- Online version of Diversification of Muslim Communities in Taiwan (SIAS Working Paper 36) was published (in Japanese).
- Online version of Historical Developments and Contemporary Situations of Travel and Tourism in the Middle East (SIAS Working Paper 39) and The Idea of an Anthropology of Islam (SIAS Working Paper 40) were published (in Japanese).
- SIAS, in collaboration with the Kyoto Center for Islamic Area Studies and the the Group of Society, Religions, and Laïcités of the French National Centre for Scientific Research (GSRL-CNRS), held a SIAS/KIAS-CNRS Joint Seminar on July 7, 2022 as an online meeting.
- The Institute of Islamic Area Studies, Sophia University, in collaboration with the Project Watan and the Research Project on Islam and Gender, will hold "Kurdish Community in Japan: KARIHŌMEN: Living as a Kurd in Japan" on July 17
- Online version of Thinking Through Asymmetries of Power in Global Knowledge Regimes: Examples From Japan and the Muslim World (SIAS Working Paper 37, in Japanese) and Muslims in the Globalizing World: Some Reflections on Japan (SIAS Working Paper 38) were published.
- The Institute of Islamic Area Studies, Sophia University, in collaboration with the Institute of Asian Cultural Studies and the Research Project on Islam and Gender [JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number JP20H00085], will hold a screening of the Algerian film "Papicha" with a special commentary on June 20 (in Japanese).