Institute For Christian Culture
This Institute has as its tasks researches on Christianity on a broader basis by integrating Christian tradition in modern cultures and civilizations and promoting studies on Oriental religions especially in Japan, and aims to contribute to better and genuine understanding of Christianity in the contemporary world as well as in Japan.
The Library of the Institute houses some 20,517 volumes and many magazines in Japanese and in European languages, including general dictionaries and reference works : Bible, philosophy, theology, Christianity in japan, Judaism, Oriental thought, Buddhism, Japanese culture and thought etc.
The Libray is open to the students of Sophia, scholars, and those who use the Central Library, but those who wish to use the Institute Library need special arrangements.
Mon. – Fri. 10:00-11:30,12:30-16:30
*The Institute is usually closed in summer, Christmas and New Year Holidays.
Regular Researcher Director
Regular Researcher Deputy-Director
KOO Mark Chung-mo
- Hosting of ongoing lecture sessions(Theme for 2013 “The Spirit and Forms of Mourning in Japan”)
- Hosting of Bible lectures (Theme for 2013 “Narratives of God in Literature”)
- Collection and opening to the public of library materials related to Christianity and other religions(library resources: 13,347 volumes in Japanese, 7,170 in foreign languages, periodicals 106 titles)
- This institute belongs to the “Liaison Conference for Research Institutes for Christian Culture” and the Catholic university “Ecumental Group for the Study of Interfaith Dialog(EGSID)”, and sponsors cooperative projects with these organaizations
- Bulletin(Issue no.32 in FY2013)
- Publication of lectures and seminars( “A History of Bible Translation in Japan”)
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 102-8554 Japan –Google map–
(Office : Rm.811.8th Fl. Central Library & Research Institutes)
TEL : 03-3238-3540, 3190 FAX : 03-3238-4145 E-mail : email@example.com