EVENT & NEWS
Seminar, “Challenges of Peace Process in South Sudan”
Sophia Institute of International Relations will be holding a seminar on “Challenges of Peace Process in South Sudan”
- ■Date&Time: November 6(Tues.), 18:30 ～20:00
- ■Venue: Sophia Institute of International Relations
- Bldg No.13, 1st Floor, Room 103,
- Sophia University Yotsuya Campus
- ■Speaker: Amb. Ismail Wais
- IGAD (Inter-Governmental Authority on Development)
- Special Envoy to South Sudan
- Ambassador Ismail Wais has been responsible for mediating the Government of South Sudan and its oppositions to revitalize the Agreement of the Resolution of Conflict; he is the most important mediator in achieving the peace agreement on the conflict of South Sudan signed in September 2018.
- ■Commentator: Amb. Masahiko Kiya
- Deputy Assistant Minister, African Affairs Department,
- Ambassador for TICAD, Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- He previously served as Ambassador of Japan to South Sudan till September last year. He entered the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan in 1987 and has worked in numerous areas, including development, peacebuilding, security and the United Nations management. Before South Sudan, he was also posted to Nigeria, the United States, Bangladesh, and Belgium.
- ■Moderator/Commentator: Daisaku Higashi
- Professor at Sophia University (Sophia Institute of International Relations)
- He is specialized in peacebuilding and mediation. He used to work for UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan as a team leader for reconciliation; he also worked for Japan mission to the UN as Minister-Counsellor in charge of peacebuilding and mediation.
- ■The session will be in English.
- ■Open to students, faculty members & public.
- ■Pre-registration required: https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/siir20181106